The genesis of the Walton United Methodist Church dates back as far as 1876 with the Circuit Rider, the Reverend D. H. Randall, holding services at Pleasant Valley School, Foster School, Sand Creek School and Walton.
In 1877, the church was founded. A frame building was erected on the present site. This frame building was typical of the architect of the time, with a vestibule, a sanctuary on the East side, and a pot-bellied stove that provided the heat.
By 1917, the congregation had grown to around 145 members, and many felt the church should be remodeled or a new one built. A group of male parishioners met and discussed the plan. After meeting into the night, a decision to build a new church made. By the end of the next day, the old building was torn down.
Without money, this community of faith leap out on faith to embarked upon the building of a church. The corner stone was laid in 1818. With God above, the dedication of the new church was held on July 20, 1919. The Reverend E. T. Jones was the pastor.
Walton United Methodist Church has been a community church. This community of faith through pledges of its members made it possible for the new church to be built. This community of faith went on a panic every summer. It was the center of attraction during those days. There were morning and evening services, prayer meetings on Wednesday nights, and numerous Sunday School classes.
The Walton United methodist Church has served the Walton Community and its environs for almost 100 years. It has a rich history. It has gone through lots of remodeling. It is what it is today because of the many members who have work hard through the contributions of their resources and time. It has known joys and happiness. Its current minister is the Reverend Amos McCarthy, the Reverend Dennis Livingstone is District Superintendent, and the Right Reverend Rueben Saenz is the Presiding Prelate. The Walton United Methodist Church is a church where everybody is somebody and Jesus Christ is Lord.